- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Bernd Gundelsweiler is head of the Institute of Design and Production in Precision Engineering (IKFF) since 2018.
- The institute was founded in 1967, with the University of Stuttgart having a rich tradition in precision engineering research.
- Approximately 20 persons are currently working at the IKFF.
- The institute is part of Faculty 7 (Engineering Design, Production Engineering and Automotive Engineering), located on the university's campus in Stuttgart-Vaihingen.
- All of the IKFF's facilities are on the 4th floor of Pfaffenwaldring 9.
- Metrology lab: Laser interferometer system, measurement data registration systems, confocal microscope, optical microscopes, coordinate tables, motion pick-up systems, etc.
- Workshop including a CNC-milling machine.
- Electronic lab.
- Surface quality measuring device (Hommel T8000), 3D coordinate measuring machine (Zeiss prismo).
- 2 injection molding machines.
- 2D and 3D CAD-Software, electronic layout software, FEM software, simulation tool for injection molding, software tools for analysing flow and electromagnetic problems.